Sunday, December 2, 2018

Learning in the Classroom

My last blog post talked about the power of student choice and some things I was trying in my classroom. This blog post I want to focus on one of the reasons why I started this blog and that was to broadcast all the amazing things that go in in a classroom over the course of a year.

This past week if you would have came into my classroom you would have seen something you may not be used to. I almost gave up my role as a teacher and the students guided their own learning. I was there to help facilitate and guide some of their learning but it was all student initiated. While I was not giving direct instruction every day it was amazing how tired I would be after these days as well. The students working throughout the room asked such great questions and really wanted to discover their own learning. This was the true definition of flipping your classroom and allowing the students to lead the learning.

The students at the end of the week completed a survey for me and all 48 of my students said that they enjoyed this type of learning more than taking notes or reading a book. Can I blame them? They were excited that they were able to learn about what they want and that they could learn at their own pace. I also allowed the students different options to present their information to the class. Some did a skit, some made a poster, some made a Google Slides presentation, and some made a video. It was such a powerful week for me as an educator as I got to see the students truly enjoy learning and strive for more.

I have now asked my students what they want to learn about our next unit which is water. Some of the questions the students created once again were amazing and will continue to guide the learning that goes on in our classroom. The students also in math solved various real-world problems all week and below is some pictures of student work and engagement. I have also included a link to more photos so you can see the true engagement in our classroom last week.

Photos from my classroom this week. 






No comments:

Post a Comment