Thursday, April 9, 2020

A Year in the UP... Next up UWEC

Well another adventure awaits. I was very fortunate and blessed to spend this past school year in two environments that have allowed me to grow as an educator and coach.

This past August, I took a leap of faith and moved to the UP to pursue an assistant coaching position at Finlandia University. I had no idea what this would entail or mean for my future. It led to a year of learning and growth and has now allowed me the opportunity to go back to my alma mater, University Wisconsin-Eau Claire, as an assistant baseball coach as they bring their program back from their hiatus since 1995. It is crazy to think that just 8 months ago I was moving to the UP as a first time college baseball coach and now I am able to be a part of the resurgence of UWEC baseball.

Again, it is very important to realize that I would not have this opportunity if it were not for Coach Brandt and the Finlandia University Athletic program. Coach Brandt took a chance on a young High School coach from Wisconsin and gave him an opportunity to pursue his dream. For that, I will always be thankful. Along the way I not only got to grow and learn from coaches on our staff but from our players daily and what it takes to succeed at the college level. "FU" will always have a different meaning to me and that is the family and connections I made while being part of the Finlandia University baseball program.

It would not be fair to write this and not include the school I was able to work at this past year. Being able to be the Special Education teacher this year at Jeffers High School allowed me to once again grow as an educator and create connections with students and staff that will always be a part of me. It was a special place to be and was great to see how the students take to and care about their education.

Once again, this is just a thank you and a stay in touch to all of those people (players, coaches, students, staff, parents) who have helped me and been a part of my journey in the UP. This will always be a special part of my journey but I am excited to get back to the Eau Claire area and help develop the UWEC baseball program in its return. You can never take the hill away from someone.


Go Blugolds!

No comments:

Post a Comment