Sunday, September 23, 2018

Officiating... Play the Game

I have debated writing a blog about this since last Sunday and the Clay Matthews hit. Then this week another hit on the Quarterback via Clay Matthews is being debated by thousands across the country. I felt it was perfect timing for a post about why I believe in never blaming an official, ref, or umpire.

Anyone who has ever played a sport with me or has been coached by me, knows I take sports seriously and do anything I can to help my team win. That being said I have always lived and abided by the motto that "you worry about what you can control" when playing sports. It is something that I preach to all athletes I coach in any sport. The game can be hard enough and mentally challenging that you should never give yourself one more thing to worry about. Why would you worry about balls and strikes when you can be thinking about setting up the hitter on the next pitch? Why would you complain about a foul when the team is shooting 2 free throws instead of setting up your next possession with your team? If as an athlete you focus on what you can control and the next play or pitch, you will be better off then having your mind focused on a call that gave you a negative emotion.

Another reason I do not believe in complaining with an official is they make mistakes just like players. A common phrase I tell my baseball players is "when you hit 1.000 and don't make an out, then you can complain about a call." Think about it, as a player in the game of baseball you are successful if you get a hit in 3 out of 10 at bats. If an umpire gets 8 out of 10 calls right, he is considered to be a failure and costed the team the game. I would much rather be correct 8 out of 10 times then 3 out of 10. Now I know this is a difficult comparison but the point is that no player is perfect and we cannot expect umpires, officials or referees to be perfect either.

Now I know officiating can be an easy scape goat for players, coaches and fans, but ultimately it is the players and coaches who decide a game. They are making hundreds of plays throughout the course of the game that could impact the game in a positive manner. Never blame an official without looking at the mistakes you made during the game. Focus on what you can control and change what you can to help your team win the next game! You cannot change a call!

Now did today's Clay Matthews hit cause the Packers to lose or was it the defense allowing big plays leading to 28 points in the first half? Or was it the Packers not converting on some easy opportunities offensively (dropped passes)? I think the Packers will go back and look at what they can do differently as players and coaches, not how the official will call the game.

Control the controllables!

D'Cota Dixon on what playing the game really means

No comments:

Post a Comment